Another joy of the fourth year of medical school is creating a Rank Order List (ROL) for The Match. A brief explanation of this is that I have to decide which programs (of those I interviewed at) I want to go to, in rank order. You see, instead of getting job offers, since residency is a job, we get a magical computer algorithm. This process matches medical student rank lists with residency program rank lists, hence the name The Match. And once you're matched, you are under contract... you cannot change your mind.
That makes it a little scary. Add to that, it's basically a four year commitment. Plus, many people (70 or 80%) end up practicing where they train. So, no pressure... you're just deciding where to settle down. Especially for me, with a family.
With all that said, I feel pretty confident about where i'll end up. But it still leaves an uneasy feeling until it's official on March 17th.
So, here's to a happy St. Patty's Day!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7
No comments:
Post a Comment